Saturday, May 8, 2010

How do you do it??

Calling all wives...
Alright ladies, gimmie some advice. I am almost 7 months into this wife business...and I feel like I have missed the boat somewhere. Was there an..."how to be an amazing wife" class that I didn't take?
Don't get me wrong....honey bunz still loves me, I am just wanting/needing to be better.

I don't cook. HOWEVER, he knew this before he married me, so therefore...who really is at fault:) But still, I am sure deep down in his sweet soul he wishes his wifey would put her domestic apron on and whip up a delightful home cooked meal. I've tried...but I failed. I can make the food look good (that is my creative, decorating side...) but it still manages to taste somewhat like dog meat. Hungry yet?

We have been moved into our new place for two weeks now...and I still haven't got this place under control. Seriously....how long should it take, it is only the two of us. As I am sitting here now, in the living room...looking at the floor, I realize that I haven't vacuumed since after we moved in. I am sure 10 of you just gasped in disappointment...get over it and come vacuum my house:)

FOR THE RECORD...I am not even going to mention the laundry. Not a single word.

Now...on the positive side, 1/4 of my house is decorated:) Seriously, we all know where my priorities are! Like I said, just 1/4...the rest is sitting in the spare bedroom begging me to be put away. Honestly, after decorating for 8 hours a day for other people....sometimes I don't feel like hanging pictures, dusting frames or fluffing greenery! Shame on me. Although other times, fluffing my precious gems seems more important than dinner and dishes, and far more fun:)

For the record....honey bunz is an amazing husband. He cooks like a chef and has NEVER once complained about my lack of cooking ablities. He also helps out A TON around the house. Always asking to do more....he loves "honey-do" lists...and I hate making them. AND....I should mention that he HATES it when I take out the trash. Hates it. What a sweet heart. Now you see why I want to be better! Look who I married:)

NOW for the confession. I have spent the last 2 hours blog stalking. (Gasp) I know...I know...you are all thinking, slap your apron on and grab a cook book/ plug in the stinkin vacuum/ hang that picture that has been sitting on the floor in the hall for two weeks. . . . . blah blah blah.
However, I have noticed that you ladies are amazing. I have noticed that you new mothers out there have it more together than I do. You mothers with 15+ kids have your houses cleaner than mine. You wives feed your husbands like kings and from the looks of things, your food even tastes good. Seriously ladies...don't make me name drop and call you out personally. You know who you are. How do you do it?

Come on ladies...share your dirty little secrets. I am going for wife of the year and could use some pointers!! What are your tricks? I don't even have kids yet and I am failing the wife of the year award. HOW DO YOU DO IT?

14 comments:

Braydon and Ashlee said...

Dear Lindsey,
You do not do it, that is the answer. Im pretty sure I have not cooked for Braydon in months and he has survived off Chicken and a Biskits. i also ask the same question... i dont have time to clean, or do cutsie photos of my babe or even pee when i want to. i too am amazed at these ladies, when they give you the secret... pass it on.
ps i miss your face

Linda and Dave Browne said...

Lindsey-lou my darling. Looks are deceiving. Just do your best and have fun. That's the only thing that is important. And remember, you want your house to be clean enough to be healthy, but dirty enough to be happy. That's the answer.Plus, tell Honey Bunz that half the chores are his. ;) Love you! (and p.s. taking a cooking class could be fun!). Wish I were there to help you in person. I love you!

Unknown said...

Seriously sister, it is all about the crock pot. You can't go wrong. And by the way, the whole working woman thing and being the Sugar Mama explains why you do not have the desire to cook, clean or vacuum more. You are fabulous! now give yourself some credit :)

april said...

To my very gorgeous, very talented very thoughtful, very creative, very smart and awesome pony--

Did I forget to tell you that being married is a HUGE transition?!! I have been at it for 5 1/2 years and I am barely figuring out how to actually make meals out of what I bring home from Walmart. As for housekeeping, I am expecting no one to come over today, so it is a wreck...that is how it goes ;) And I am NOT working 40 hours managing other peeps! You are awesome and I love you. Give yourself a break, and keep blog stalking!

Kate said...

If you do come over to our homes, we only let you see what we want you to see! hehe We are a total wreak most of the time. Ever since I was pregnant, Julio has taken over vacuuming. And I wish Julio would take out the trash more, like when I set it in front of the door and he has to move it to go out but some how it is still there after he goes to work!!

I cook, but I don't like to. I don't mind laundry as long as I don't have to fold it and dishes... forget about it. But being a wife, you just keep doing the best you can. Cuddling on the couch is much more fun then cleaning. So snuggle a bit more with your "Honey Bunz" and leave the house a mess for a few more days. BTW, we moved over a month ago and I still have loads of boxes!! Miss you girl!

Tracy and Micah said...

Haha! You are funny, cause I know how perfect you really are..

Micah and I both kind of agree that weekends are for playing and Sunday night is laundry night. And when you both work you kind of forget about a regular cleaning schedule, cause who is at home to get it THAT dirty throughout the day, right?
Oh wait no, that isn't right, Micah cleans while he calls me the tazmanian devil of messes(Really. I mean, should he really call his wife a devil in any form??). He seems to think I have a tornado wind following me through the house and that is why messes follow everywhere I have been. Personally, I don't really get what he is talking about..

Anyway, I suppose I gave you no advice, but at least made you feel better about yourself? No?

Hope you liked my essay answer :) Talk to you soon!

Bj said...

Oh yeah, about that marriage thing... it IS a big transition! I was 19 and felt scared poop less that I was all of a sudden a HOUSE WIFE and had a husband, house, laundry and meals to take care of. We have had 4.5 years to figure things out now, and have a good little team-work system, but that doesn't mean it always goes smoothly. Nobody will ever get it perfect, but you'll catch on quick and find things that YOU do best! It's so much better any way to enjoy time with your honey than always be worrying about the house, laundry etc! Miss you!

Cory said...

i just spray some good smelly stuff to make it seem like that room is clean and then plop down with the remote and my 10th season of friends! I got my priorities- ps this is fetus... i dont understand why its under cory

Sabs said...

oh dear...have you been sniffing paint in your new place? I'm pretty sure there's not a woman out there who has it ALL together! You're amazing! dont make yourself feel guilty over dumb stuff...there is a time and a season for all things. I love you! and really isn't that all that matters:) hee hee

Kimberly Davis said...

Just be happy he takes out the trash...after 12 years I have to have 2 or 3 bags before it even crosses his mind...and I still have to ask!

As for cooking - I started out the same as you, however I found the best cookbook in the world "Recipies for the I Don't cook Syndrome" changed my life!!

Kylee said...

Nobody has it all figured out. When we got married, I only had desert recipes. :) I have found a few recipes that I LOVE and rotate through those, while trying new ones too. We clean before people come over and if they just drop by, it is a mess. Just don't ever go in our room, it is always dirty! :)

Jesse, Hailey, Max and Boston said...

Hey you! I am sure you are a wonderful wife! If it makes you feel better we moved in 6 months ago and my house isn't even close to being all put together...I seriously need your help!! About cooking I would say crock-pot, plan meals ahead according to your schedules and go to thegirlwhoateeverything.blogspot.com there is some good stuff on there! If he is helping don't have him stop...we are still working on that! I have decided you can't get it all done something is going to be left out so don't stress. Your awesome! Sure miss ya! Where are you working?

Lindsey and Brett said...

I don't know what these people are talking about. I totally have it together 100% of the time. I never have nervous break downs about what to eat or what the house looks like because it's always sparkling. ; ) But seriously, when it comes to cooking, invest in a crock pot. It's nearly impossible to ruin anything in those. You just buy the big bags of frozen chicken breasts and then you can do all kinds of things. Seriously, I put a couple of those chicken breasts (completely frozen) in the crock pot, pour in a jar of salsa, then put it on low for about 6-8 hours or high for about 4 and then you just shred it with a couple of forks and then serve with tortillas, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, etc. and it's delicious and so easy! As for the cleaning and laundry - one step at a time. Make a goal to accomplish one thing a day. If all you can do is make the bed, at least you did something that day. Then you'll eventually figure out what matters the most and how to get it done. I get really OCD about cleaning late at night, so that's when I get things done... But figure out what works for you and try not to compare yourself to others. It's really easy to feel like a failure if you do that (trust me, I have to refrain from reading too many blogs because it's depressing to see how much more put together some people are than me). Sorry this is the longest response... I couldn't help myself. Also, check this website out:
http://nikibone.com/recipe/crockpot.html
Good luck!

Brianna said...

I love you Lindsey. :-) Truth be told... WHO really does "IT ALL"???? I stress myself out every dang day trying to find the same solution you are looking for. My answer for you..... you can't do it all. I agree with Jen, it's all about the teamwork. And you know what... sometimes the laundry/dishes/whatever else just does not get done. Life goes on. :-) You're an adorable little wife and I'm sure you do MUCH MORE then you're giving yourself credit for!!

Oh, and about the cooking thing. I can get you pizza huts number. They deliver. Cereal is good. And a good ol' American tradition.... Mac & Cheese with hot dogs in it. Mmmmm... ;-)