Friday, July 1, 2011

The passing of a Friend.


Dear Nike,
I prayed this day would never come. You have been a part of our family for 12 years now. Even though many people think we are crazy, you really are family. Mom called me last night and told me you were acting funny. I knew your time was short...I didn't realize it was this short. This morning you rang your little bell, wanting to go outside. Mom said you went over to the bushes and started digging a hole...then you laid down. You knew what was going on. The vet has now called and told us that it's time for you to go home. Not back to Mom and Dad's, but Home. If someone would have ever told me how much I would love a dog, I would have told them they were crazy. I never knew that a four legged, black bearded little girl could make such an impact on my life.

I loved how when I would walk through the door, you were always the first to greet me. You would wag that little stump of a tail, and jump up on my legs. You loved us, no matter what. I love hooking you up with food...especially under the table:) I love watching how crazy you would get when we would yell "BIRD". I love your passion for carrots:) You'd do ANYTHING for a carrot. I love how you would give kisses...few and far between, but when we got one...it ment even more. You taught me how to love animals and that there is a deeper and closer connection than I EVER thought possible.

Some people may think my family is crazy. Some people are crying inside, because they too have loved a dog. Some people may never understand how an animal can become so much a part of a family. Nike, you ment the world to us. We love you ole girl.

(Few hours later)
We are back now. We all went to the vet to say our final goodbyes. You looked so peaceful. You laid on the floor and let us all love you and say our "see ya laters". You really were a good dog. I couldn't leave you. I didn't want you to go to sleep without anyone by your side. A few of us stayed in the room, and mourned the loss of our little black furry sister. I really wanted to bring you a McMuffin and a Apple Fritter...but you were too sick. Nike, thank you for the love you have shown me. Thank for the love and memories that we now share because of the blessing you were in our lives. I know that you are in Heaven now...All Dogs Go To Heaven:) I hope you are running and chasing after birds. I hope you are taking long naps. I hope someone will hook you up with a big hearty meal, and a donut for dessert. I hope you know how much I love you. There was not a dry eye today as we said our goodbyes. You ment the world to all of us. Thanks for being a part of our family.
I love you.
Nike 4/17/99 - 7/1/11

7 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

My heart is breaking for all of you. Yes, all dogs go to Heaven and I like to think that Nike is running happily with Annie. Oh, how we love our dogs--not crazy, but rather we know the angels that they really are. Nike will always hold a special place in my heart too, just as you and your family do. Animals are gifts and dogs are the ultimate treasure. Wjhat wonderful memories they create, and they show the purest of love. They teach us about unconditional love and an open heart. I hope and pray that all of you find peace and comfort as your hearts heal from the hole she is leaving. But, I know that these special family members will be waiting for us when we go Home. What a comfort that is.

I love you kiddo, and wish I could give you all hugs. You are in my heart and prayers.

Love you!

Bj said...

Tears, seriously dripping and hitting my computer desk. I'm sorry to hear about your little puppy! I was just thinking today what perfect little gifts animals are from our Heavenly Father... and even if no one else understands why, you can just love them to pieces!

The Aprecios said...

This poem is extremely cheesy, but its something that I read EVERY time I lose a pet.

http://www.ashestoashes.com/rainbow_bridge_poem.htm

I love that you wrote this. I always feel so silly talking about how much I love my furry family, so its good to know I am as normal as Linds :) Things will get better, it will always be sad, but if you ask me its better to have loved and lost than never loved a dog!

Brianna said...

Oh linds.... my heart is so sad! :( I'm so sorry. I totally understand that an animal, no matter what kind, becomes a part of the family. I'm so sorry dear. Loves to you!!!

april said...

oh dear pony! my heart breaks in a million billion pieces for you. It is so so so hard to lose a pet, especially one you have loved for so many years. I know Nike was a very special dearly beloved pup. What a lucky little animal to have such awesome humans to live her life with.

Lindsey and Brett said...

:( We had to let our dog go a while back. He just couldn't hardly function anymore and it was time, but it's still not easy to let them go. Dogs are good friends. Always happy to see you and somehow keenly aware of your every emotion. Sorry you had to let little Nike go. She sounds like she was a great friend.

Lindsey said...

Oh my poor little pony......I am sorry about poor Nike!! She had a good life and wonderful humans to love her and spoil her. Could a dog ask for a better life than to be a part of the Davis family? Seriously! Well your little letter to Nike made me cry for you and your family. RIP Nike.