Saturday, August 18, 2007

Oh my goodness....we made it!


Well my good friends, I made it. There was only one time in the 9 hours of sheer bliss that I thought my only option was to jump off the mtn and hope for the best. We hit the trail at 1:40am and somehow made it down by 9:50am...not too shabby! Well at the last minute last night we were able to recuit two more little suckers....my brothers girlfriend Malease and her best friend Alysa. (L to R ) Alysa, Malease, Landon, Lyns, Dad, Carly, Mckay
Here McKay and I are at the trailhead...don't we look so happy to be there at 1:40am?? He and I are the only two who haven't done this before, and are the only two Utah State Aggies!! We had to stick together amongst all the BYU cougars.

Here is Carly and I....this woman is nuts! She seriously hauled up that mtn. This girl doesn't stop for anything...expect animals. She was so nervous about seeing a moose again this year that she would freak out at any grass movement. Sadly all we saw were some deer. She has been on two hikes where she has been less than 200 yards away from moose! One time she turned the corner and was almost face to antler with 5 moose!!
Here is my hero!! If it weren't for him, I think I would have jumped! My dad is the best to hike with! Always prepared!
Here we are...at the top of the "saddle" of Mt. Timp. We got here at 6am....tired and hungry. From here it is one more hellish mile to the peak, however sadly we passed on that trek. Mother nature was not on our side and as we got to the top of the world, we came across a thunder and lightening storm, about 5 miles away. We all felt that it was more important that we be safe, than hike to the peak. To be honest I am totally cool with that....the last mile is straight up and straight down. You are basically free handing rock climbing. And up at the top is a metal shack where you write you name....metal, lightening, and the highest peak....I am no dummy.
You can't tell, but that is all of Utah Valley behind us. It was an amazing view.
Rest the legs for one more minute...and we are off! Heading down was tough on the legs but easy on the mind! It was a cool experince to hike that far in the dark, kinda scary cause you are surrounded by cliffs, but really fun!
Well....mother nature has an odd sense of humor and protected us from the zap of lightening, but soaked us. It poured all 9 miles down! By the way, there was only a 30% chance of rain....and the storm was supposed to be in Northern Utah...stupid weather people.
There she is...Mt Timp....crazy beast! That mtn is huge! See the little ledge on the top of the screen on the right...that is the saddle were we turned around.
Landon and his ladies....looking like little drown rats. It was amazing we sweat all the way up and shed clothing in the middle of the night, and as soon as the sun rose, we got chilled!!!
Davis Family picture...aren't we so cute...look at my brothers choice of clothing...what a nerd. It scared all the animals away
Lindsey, Carly and Mckay....our better side.
Soaked, tired....but we had a blast! And the best part is....WE MADE IT TO THE TOP!!!
Look at my tee shirt...the rain soaked through two layers!
She fell asleep like that on the way down....poor little neck!
Ohh my tired little baby!

Well, I can offically check another thing off my list if things to do before I am 25....sorry for such a long post. It was basically a milestone! Well after the hike we all came home, showered and slept like babies. As for me right now...it has been 8 hours since we left the trail, I am stiff, almost sore and tired. You probably could crack an egg on my butt it is so tight right now....it was an awesome experince, and I am so grateful for my awesome friends and crazy family for supporting me and climbing with me! IT WAS AWESOME!!

5 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

Congrats kid. Good job, I thought about you guys when I took the pups out at 4:30am (2:30am your time). NOW COME TO GA!

Stef said...

two words, WET RATS!

glad you enjoyed it and didn't jump! :)

Sabs said...

Whew! I'm so glad you're alive. "My life would suck without you in it!" Hee hee. Looks like fun! WAy to go on your list too! TOo bad there you didn't get to save anyone though, you could've been on Oprah:)

Jessica Kettle said...

yowzer. I can't believe you went in the middle of the night you crazy foo! Way to go on completing your mission of torture. I am glad to hear my hottie Ronnie didn't fall off any cliffs and bust his head again.

Skipper said...

Fun! I kind of miss doing exciting things like that in the middle of the night...not that changing wet diapers and making bottles isn't fun of course.