Thursday, June 7, 2007

Day #2 -LONDON




I slept like a baby. There are 6 of us in a room, three bunkbeds. I am on the top, which has it's small high points. My flatmate started snoring last night, so one of the girls passed around ear plugs. I slept the whole night through! Today we went to Westminster Abbey, didn't see any LIVING royalty today...just a bunch of dead ones. The Abbey was huge and so much detail, sorry no camera's allowed. This picture is myself and three of my roommates in front of one of the doors to the Abbey. (L to R..Winnie, Jesi, Maryam, and of course your's truley).

After the Abbey we walked over to the VA muesum (Victoria Albert). And as we were walking over I passed this monument to the soliders of WWII. I thought, in a very sensitive way, that this was a really interesting (for lack of a better word) monument. I, of course giggled....










This picture is inside the VA, I am siting on a sparkly glass bench. This was one of my favorite exibits. The coolest things all made of glass. The VA was really quite neat, at lots to look at and we didn't even get to see it all. They have everything from really old pictures to old statues and then the most unusual shrine to a new age popstar I have ever seen. Basically Madonna has been reborn, some of you may know her, Kylie Mingone...They have a whole exibit just for her. Kinda funny actually.



Thi s is on the way down to the tube. (London's version of the Subway) We take this everywhere...and I am actually really impressed at how quick I have learned the system. I am genius I guess. (L to R...Mickell, Zach, Jesi, Breanne, Kysha)

It still amazes me at how fast this little train goes....seriously if you were to trip and fall by the tracks, you would live to see the next day.
This is Kysha and I looking like real tourists:) I think these booths are so cute!!!
This is one of my most favorite signs right now...truely makes my day. This means TUBE!! The tube stops everywhere...but it is hard to see, because you are standing right on it. We have little passes and get us on and off. Just when you think that not another sweaty smelly person can get on, here come 20 more. And you just make due. The weather is really cool around here, and lots of humity...but that Tube feels like 100 plus degrees. It is so stuffy! And on a good day, when all the stars line up just right and you find a lucky penny, then you get a seat....otherwise just stand there and HOLD ON!! So many times I have nearly toppled right over.
All and all this day two has been wonderful. I am starting to understand a little bit more about their culture. First of all, there are hardly any trash cans...esp on and around the Tube. I really hate that. Second, if you want water...dip your head in a puddle or pack it with you...cause lets be honest, you won't be finding it in many places, or cheap. We went to dinner tonight, a little group of us, and the waiter had the hardest time wondering why only one of us wanted wine and the rest, water. Finally he got tired of bringing out glasses and brought us a pitcher...he was kinda a jerk about it. But seriously, I have seen ONE drinking fountian! ONE!!! The whole driving on the otherside of the road ordeal is getting a little easier to understand....but these folks are nuts, and drive like the devil's chasing them. I hear more sirans than in any other city!! The police are everywhere and super busy. Well I am off to my flat now....our internet doesn't work in our hostel so we have to use the cafe. Cheers

1 comment:

Skipper said...

Please stop having so much fun! Give my love to the Queen next time you see her.